The new 935 race car was unveiled by Porsche during the “Rennsport Reunion VI” at WeatherTech Raceway – Laguna Seca in California.
The new model pays tribute to iconic 935/78 Le Mans racing car, dubbed “Moby Dick” for its elongated tail, massive fairings, and white base color (you can find more on its history on Wikipedia).
This racetrack-only car is based on the street-legal 911 GT2 RS, and is geared towards clubsport events and private training on racetracks.
Since the car isn’t homologated for any series or road use, engineers and designers had maximum freedom in the development.
Like its historic predecessor, most of the body is made out carbon-fiber reinforced polymer (CFRP) parts.
With its streamlined extended rear, the new Porsche 935 measures 191.5 inches (4.87 meters) in length and has a width of of 80.1 inches (2.03 meters).
The distinctive wheel arch air vents on the front fenders, which also are a feature of the Porsche 911 GT3 R customer racing vehicle, increase downforce at the front axle.
Many exterior details are inspired from the company’s motor racing history: the aerodynamically enhanced rims echo those of the 935/78, with the LED rear lights on the rear wing endplates adopted from the 919 Hybrid LMP1 race car; the side mirrors come from the current Le Mans-winning 911 RSR, while the exposed titanium tailpipes were modeled after those from the 1968 Porsche 908.
Measuring 75.2 inches (1909 millimeters) in width by 15.8 inches (400 millimeters) in depth, the rear wing promotes aerodynamic balance.
These historical references are also visible in the cockpit. The knob on the gearshift lever has a laminated wood design and is reminiscent of historic Porsche race cars such as the 917 and the 909 Bergspyder as well as the street-legal Carrera GT super sports car.
The carbon fiber steering wheel and the color display behind it have been taken from the 2019 911 GT3 R. A massive safety cage combined with a racing bucket seat and a six-point safety harness help ensure maximum safety. A second seat for a passenger is available as an optional extra. Air conditioning keeps the interior cool.
The new 935 is powered by a 3.8-liter flat-six-twin-turbo engine, which delivers 700 hp and is largely identical to the high-performance standard unit mounted in the road-legal 911 GT2 RS.
Power is transferred to the 310 millimeter wide rear wheels via a seven-speed Porsche Doppelkupplung (PDK) dual-clutch transmission with rigid mounts.
Just as in production models such as the 911 GT2 RS and GT3 RS, the driver changes gears via shift paddles located on the steering wheel.
Like the road-legal 911 GT2 RS, the 3,042 pound (1,380 kilogram) 935 is equipped with PSM (Porsche Stability Management) including traction control as well as an anti-lock braking system (ABS). Thanks to a so-called map switch, these assistance systems can be adjusted separately or switched off completely, depending upon the track situation.
The new Porsche 935 can be ordered now from 701,948 Euro plus taxes. For the U.S., pricing will be announced at a later date. Customers will receive their vehicles from June 2019 at exclusive delivery events.
Technical Specifications – Porsche 935 (Type 991, Gen. 2)
• Single-seater non-homologated, non-street-legal race car
• Basis: Porsche 911 GT2 RS (991.2)
• Weight: ca. 3,042 pounds (1380 kg)
• Length: 191.5 inches (4865 mm)
• Width: 80 inches (2034 mm incl. side mirrors)
• Total height: 53.5 inches (1359 mm)
• Wheelbase: 96.7 inches (2457 mm)
• Water-cooled 6-cylinder aluminium twin-turbo rear-mounted boxer engine with rigid mounting; 3,800 cc; stroke 77.5 mm; bore 102 mm; ca. 700 horsepower 4-valve technology with VarioCam Plus camshaft adjustment and valve lift control
• Electronic engine management (Continental SDI 9)
• DMSB-approved 100-cell metal catalytic converter
• Rear muffler with twin tailpipes mounted centrally, Heritage Design
• 7-speed PDK gearbox with rigid mounts and short paddle throws
• Dual mass flywheel
• Internal pressurized oil lubrication with active oil cooling
• Limited slip differential optimized for racing
• Weight-optimized bodyshell in aluminium-steel composite design with carbon-fiber Kevlar® add-on parts to improve aerodynamics and stability
• Rear wing with lights integrated in endplates
• Enlarged air inlets with integrated LED headlights in 4-point design
• Removable escape hatch in roof complying with FIA Art. 275a
• Aerodynamically optimized side mirrors
• 115-liter FT3 safety fuel cell with fuel cut-off safety valve in compliance with FIA Art. 253 in the front, optional with fast-fill coupling
• Welded-in safety cage
• Recaro® racing bucket seat with longitudinal seat adjustment and padding system in accordance with FIA Standard 8862/2009
• 6-point safety harness
• Air jack system (three jacks)
• Fire extinguishing system with electronic release unit
Front axle: MacPherson suspension strut; forged suspension links, optimized stiffness with high-performance spherical bearings, center-lock wheel nuts; 3-way racing dampers, reinforced tie-rods; Electro-mechanical power steering with variable steering ratio; anti-roll bar
Rear axle: Multi-link suspension; forged suspension links, optimized stiffness with high-performance spherical bearings, center-lock wheel nuts; 3-way racing dampers; anti-roll bar
• Two separate brake circuits for front and rear axles; adjustable via brake balance bar system
• Six-piston aluminum monobloc racing brake calipers with anti-knock-back piston springs; iron brake discs, internally ventilated with 390 mm diameter, racing brake pads, optimized brake cooling ducts
• Four-piston aluminium monobloc racing brake calipers with anti-knock-back piston springs; iron brake discs, internally ventilated with 355 mm diameter, racing brake pads, optimized brake cooling ducts
• Instrument cluster consisting of COSWORTH™ ICD with integrated data logger, Sport Chrono watch and boost gauge in a vintage finish
• CFK multifunction steering wheel with pit speed limiter and quick-release coupling
• PSM (Porsche Stability Management) with ABS, Traction Control and Electronic Stability Control (can be completely switched off)
• Center console with map switch to adjust the ABS, ESC, TC and switch between preset tire circumferences
• Porsche Track Precision Race App
• Integrated lap trigger
• Lightweight 60 Ah lithium-ion (LiFePo) battery, leakproof, mounted in passenger footwell
• Emergency cut-off switch in cockpit and outside left of the windscreen
• Tire pressure monitoring system (TPMS)
• Air conditioning
Front axle: One-piece light-alloy forged wheels
11.5J x 18 offset 15.3 with center-lock nut; Michelin® transport tires 29/65-R18
Rear axle: One-piece light-alloy forged wheels
13.0J x 18 offset -10 with center-lock nut; Michelin transport tires 31/71-R18
Agate gray water-based paint; optional: Martini livery
701,948 Euro plus country-specific VAT
U.S.-specific pricing TBD
Delivery from June 2019