EU-LIVE – “Efficient Urban LIght VEhicles” is a R&D Project that aims at providing solutions for next-generation electric urban L-category (weight under 450kg) vehicles, by developing modular powertrains and bodies and an integrated modular co-simulation platform that will enable economies of scale.
The brief tasks participants to create a “fresh and unconventional car” and submit design sketches within February 14, 2016.
The target vehicle is a small, modular electric vehicle designed for future mega-cities. It makes use of in-wheel motors and can reach a top speed of 45 kilometers per hour, covering primarily individual transportation needs, but potentially meeting also the requirements for business solutions.
The winning entries will serve as the basis for the virtual prototype for the L6e category (*). It will consist a package plan, a simplified CAD model (which will be built by professional 3D engineers) and a corresponding multi-body and aerodynamics simulation model. Moreover it will be used for a feasibility study.
Additionally, a prize money of € 6000 for the first 3 winners will be awarded (first: € 3000, second: € 2000, third: € 1000)
The submissions will be evaluated by a jury composed by:
- Damien Basset, Peugeot Scooters – Head of Advance Design and Brand Identity
- Lutz Eckstein, Institute for Automotive Engineering (ika) RWTH Aachen University – Director
- Thomas Fournier, Car Designer at PSA Peugeot Citroën
- Lutz Fügener, Professor of Transportation Design at Pforzheim University
- Rüdiger Heim, Fraunhofer-Institute for Structural Durability and System Reliability – Vice Director
- Daniel Huber, Spirit Design – Managing Partner, Strategic Design
- Werner Rom, Virtual Vehicle Research Center – Head of the Area “Cross Domain”
Jurors will take into consideration the fulfillment of the requirements, the originality and quality of the design, and the feasibility for series production.
For more information and the complete contest rules visit eu-live.eu/designcontest.
(*) A L6e-(B) vehicle is a small (l ≤ 3 m, w ≤ 1.5 m, h ≤ 2.5m) light quadric-mobile with a maximum power of 6 kW and an enclosed driving and passenger compartment which is accessible by a maximum of three sides. It has 4 wheels, a top speed ≤ 45 km/h and a mass in running order ≤ 425 kg (excl. battery).
The EU-LIVE project is carried out by an international consortium with comprehensive expertise in the areas related to vehicle research and development. It consists of major European manufacturers of passenger cars and L-category vehicles, Tier 1 suppliers of components and sub-systems, SMEs and research centres specialized in mobility and the automotive sector. The know-how of this interdisciplinary think-tank ensures the sustainable market exploitation of the project results.
* L-category vehicles comprise powered vehicles such as scooters, 3-wheelers and light 4-wheelers, weighing less than 450 kg.