Previewed by the 2013 Cactus Concept presented at the past Frankfurt Motor Show, the C4 Cactus production version has been unveiled in the past days at an official event in Paris.
The compact hatchback features many original solutions focused on functionality, efficiency and running costs reduction (20% less than the benchmark in the compact hatchback segment).
Among these is the adoption of the Airbump® protective components, located on the sides and on the bumpers.
These elements feature a TPU (thermoplastic polyurethane) skin that comprises air capsules capable of absorbing impacts, thus providing day-to-day protection, while no specific maintenance is required.
The Airbump® components also a graphic structure to the smooth bodylines of the car.
They are available in four colours (Black, Grey, Dune & Chocolate), that can be matched with the ten body colours and three choices of interior trim (Stone Grey Ambiance, Habana Highlight & Purple Highlight).
The C4 Cactus is 200kg lighter than the Citroën C4 and achieves a fuel consumption of just 91.1mpg with CO2 from 82g/km thanks to the adoptions of modern Euro 6 engines.
The vehicle package is characterized by compact dimensions (length: 4.16m, width: 1.73m), with a relatively long wheelbase of 2.60m (equivalent to a Citroën C4) and an optimized height of 1.48m.
The graphic identity is defined by horizontal lines and a profile with 1/3 glazed areas & 2/3 side panels.
In addition to the Airbump protections, further styling elements include the floating quarter-lights and roof and a high-tech light signature with daytime-running LED lights, while the headlights are built into the Airbump protection at the front.
All the design elements highlight their specific function – from Airbump® and wheel arch protections to the strong useable roof bars and the large panoramic glazed roof with its heat protection.
The interior is focused on providing comfort and more space for the driver and passengers. To do this, designers decided to de-clutter the cabin to provide a friendlier, more relaxing environment.
The low dashboard, with its horizontal lines, creates more space for the front passenger and offers generous and easily accessible storage.
- ‘Airbag In Roof’ technology – transferring the passenger airbag to the roof & deploying it over the windscreen, rather than positioning it in the dashboard
- Conventional control buttons replaced by a 7-inch touchscreen, grouping together all the main vehicle functions (including the air conditioning, media, navigation, vehicle settings, telephone, connectivity & driving aids)
- The traditional instrument cluster replaced by a digital screen
- On Efficient Tronic Gearbox (ETG) versions, the gear lever is replaced by an ‘Easy Push’ system. This simplified function comprises a ‘Drive, Neutral, Reverse’ (D,N,R) selection control on the lower fascia and steering wheel paddles to allow the driver to change gears manually.
The driver and front passenger both gain from this new interior architecture. The wide front seats are designed in the style of a sofa, to create a more comfortable and user-friendly ambience in the cabin.
In the rear, passenger legroom is similar to that of the Citroën C4. With an equivalent wheelbase, New C4 Cactus provides the same amount of space, but with more compact exterior dimensions. The trunk capacity is 358-litres.
The clean design lines of the cabin arecombined with an overall effect that evokes the theme of travel, with a nod to the world of luggage design, including:
- Door handles that take the form of luggage inspired leather straps
- A storage compartment on the top part of the dashboard, with hinge fittings & a relief pattern
- Seat upholstery, door trim & dashboard in a choice of three colours; Stone Grey, Purple Highlight & Habana Highlight
The fully digital & intuitive touchscreen interface is equipped with a 7-inch touchscreen featuring seven main control buttons, which gives access to a full range of functions, including:
Amongst the useful technologies is the Citroën Multicity Connect application portal. Controlled from the 7-inch touchscreen, this portal offers a range of apps, including:
– ‘Fuel’ app, allowing motorists to find the nearest and/or cheapest service station
– ‘Yellow Pages’ & ‘Trip Advisor’ apps, which help to locate hotels & restaurants
– ‘Michelin Traffic’ app, providing live traffic information
– ‘Coyote’ app, providing alerts on high-risk roads
Driving aids include a Park Assist system; a reversing camera; a Hill-Start Assist; Static cornering lights; and the Citroën eTouch service featuring a localised emergency & assistance call system.
The large panoramic sunroof features an advanced heat protection system designed to filter light and reflect heat – it achieves a protection equivalent to category-4 sunglasses, with effective protection from UV rays, while excellent light, heat and acoustic protection, eliminates the need to fit a sunblind.
The ‘Smart Wash’ system features windscreen washer nozzles built into the tips of the wipers; they release just a small amount of fluid, helping maintaining visibility and reducing by 50% the amount of fluid required compared to a conventional system.