Ricardo has applied its expertise in the design, development and manufacturing of special vehicles, and advanced automotive technology to create a demonstration vehicle that maximizes fuel economy while maintaining the capability and performance of light tactical wheeled vehicles.
The testing phase is currently underway at the Aberdeen Test Center (ATC) Roadway Simulator, where the FED Alpha will tested using a drive cycle specifically developed by TARDEC and Ricardo, that includes various real world military activities (convoy, urban assault, cross-country and extended idle).
- A Cummins I4 engine that Ricardo calibrated specifically for tactical vehicle fuel efficiency in Ricardo’s Detroit Technology Campus engine test facilities
- Goodyear Fuel Max low rolling resistance tyres specifically designed for the FED ALPHA
- A high efficiency 28-volt permanent magnet integrated starter-generator from Kollmorgen that enables electric accessories and 20 kW of power for on-board equipment
- An Alcoa Defense lightweight aluminium structure, armouring, and underbody blast shield which support and protect the vehicle while reducing weight
- An improved driveline that utilizes a unique carrier and differential assembly from Ricardo and AxleTech International, including non-geared hubs and REM Chemicals Isotropic Superfinished gears to reduce friction and increase fuel efficiency
- Accelerator feedback pedal and fuel economy display to inform drivers how to operate the vehicle to produce the best fuel economy
- A 6-speed automatic transmission from Aisin