Senior Designer – Exterior & Interior (L5)
Job Location: Portland, OR, US
Innovative products begin with talented, highly motivated individuals. Daimler Trucks North America (DTNA), the largest and most diverse company in the North American commercial vehicle market, invites you to join our dynamic, industry-leading workforce.
Our world-class portfolio of brands, including Freightliner trucks, Western Star trucks, Detroit™ engines and components, Thomas Built Buses, and Freightliner Custom Chassis, offers the unique opportunity to follow your passion for automotives in business or technical fields at locations across North America.
And when you work for a Daimler company, you join a global network of over 250,000 dedicated employees on 6 continents who share your passion. Apply today and explore the world of Daimler!
As Senior Designer you will bring your extensive work experience in transportation design to join this high-energy DTNA Design Team responsible for interior and exterior design of the DTNA portfolio of products; Freightliner, Western Star and business subsidiaries.
Your strong passion for design and excellent design skills will be a vital part of the Design studio process in the development of current production platforms, future design projects and showtrucks where you can make a difference!
- Lead and mentor internal and external designers
- Prioritize assignments and oversee efficient and timely completion of projects
- Create and implement innovative and well thought out design solutions for future interior and exterior truck designs
- Research and analyze competitor brand trends in overall design, packaging, dimensions, materials and products
- Create innovative conceptual and production designs from sketch through final release of the model
- Execute design reviews and attend interdisciplinary meetings with marketing, sales, engineering and manufacturing departments and suppliers
- Create and present materials to executive management for internal and external events
- Responsible for talent development, budget development and planning
- Bachelor’s degree in Transportation or Industrial Design with 2 years of related experience OR an associate’s degree in Transportation or Industrial Design with 4 years of related experience OR 8 years of related engineering design experience required
- At least 1 year of group leader, project lead, or mentoring experience required
- Experience in a design department of a global automotive company required
- Experience leading and mentoring others in identifying / resolving complex problems required
- Expert level sketching and rendering skills to communicate your ideas in presentations required
- Able to follow and lead execution on scale and full scale models and CAD required
- Strategic creative thinker with thorough understanding of the design process required
- Strong communication and presentation skills for both internal and external meetings required
- Proficient with Microsoft suite of products and Photoshop required
- Team player with strong interpersonal skills a must with a passion for design required
- Latest portfolio / work samples for submission required
- 4-7 years of experience in a design department of a global automotive company preferred
Final candidate must successfully complete a pre-employment drug screen and criminal background check.